This week has been crazy. Tom’s in the middle of an insane work schedule. 14 hour days for 2 weeks straight. I have a 4-month-old and a 9-year-old who is acting more like a 15-year-old lately. It’s been stressful, I don’t know how we do it. I am so glad it’s almost over.
I’ve been craving sweets all week, but since I cut out dairy and eggs most of my favorites are off the menu. A friend of mine recommended I try raw vegan desserts. So I did some research and found this one at Green Kitchen Stories. I have been a longtime follower of their blog. I LOVE the photography. Just beautiful. I love macro and started out shooting macro with my grandpa’s camera a long time ago. When it came time to take pictures of these brownies I dusted off my macro filters and began playing.
I had to change up the recipe a little since I didn’t have syrup or hazelnuts. Plus I wanted more coconut flavor.
They. Were. Awesome. Like incredibly awesome. Especially when smeared with honey roasted peanut butter.
Raw Chai, Coconut & Pecan Brownies
- 2 cups of pitted Medjool dates
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil, room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 6 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 bags of chai tea, cut open bags and use tea.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. If you have a good food processor then just throw everything except the pecans in and let it go, scraping down the sides occasionally, until its thick and pasty. My magic bullet didn’t cut it, so I chopped up the dates until very fine. Mixed all the ingredients in one by one with a spoon and then mashed everything with a fork until it was thick like paste. Add the pecans and fold in until they are spread throughout the dough.
2. Press the dough into a parchment lined brownie tin. It should be about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
I feel your pain. My better half has just been working overseas for a whole week, leaving me with the 5- month old, the 6-year old and all his share of the chores…in the snow! I need a week off, but I know that’s never going to happen! This job’s a tough one. Wish we were neighbours (so I could come over and try your brownies!). Hope you get some rest soon. X
I know exactly how you feel!
I can’t say no to anything that include dates, chocolate, and pecans! These sounds wonderful. I’m going to have to make a batch tonight!