Happy Autumn Equinox!
Mother Earth decided to bless us by sending our first real Fall day. The temperature dropped from the upper 90s down to 72 and breezy in just a couple days. The wind smelled wet and cold. It blew strongest in the afternoon and the dust was so thick in places that visibility was down to about 10 feet.
I got the kids home by about 3:15pm and quickly decided against going swimming at the YMCA. I just wanted to huddle in my apartment with a book and something warm to eat. I was too tired to stand at the stove cooking so I opted to throw something together in the oven.
I pulled out a large oven safe pot. Tossed in some chicken thighs, which were a steal this week at Albertsons for $0.69/lb! I dumped a packet of Red Fork Foods Tomato Olive Chicken Skillet Sauce in there as well as a little water. I popped that in the oven for a bit while I cooked some brown rice. In the end we had a fabulous meal that took less than 15 minutes of prep and was done in under an hour while I read a book and watched my son play outside with his trucks.
Oven Braised Chicken with Tomato and Olive Sauce
- 4-5 chicken thighs with or without skin and bones
- 1 packet of Red Fork Foods Tomato Olive Chicken Skillet Sauce
- 1/2-1 cup water
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat the bottom of a large oven safe pot with olive oil. Place chicken inside pot in a single layer. Don’t make them too tightly packed.
- Season with salt & pepper and pour the tomato packet over the chicken. Pour in enough water so the chicken is submerged halfway in liquid.
- Put the pot in the oven uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Check to make sure the chicken is at least 165-170 degrees F or cut one open and make sure it is not pink inside and the juices run clear.
- Serve with rice and some of the cooking sauce from the pot.
*I hope you enjoy this recipe! I want to mention that I was NOT asked or paid to write this post. I just really enjoyed this meal and wanted to share!