Last week I went to see my midwife who told me that the baby had turned again, back into the breech position. She said not to worry, but that I should take a long walk everyday to encourage him to turn. I used to love a long walk, but these days a long walk is across our long driveway to the chicken coop and back. But I definitely want the baby to turn so I promised I would try.
The blackberries behind our house are still holding out their big harvest so yesterday Brae and I walked down the street to a large stand of blackberry bushes that were blanketed in plump sweet berries. We should have brought a larger bowl because the one we had was full in less than 15 minutes. After getting home we decided that these berries were too sweet and ripe to freeze. Plus I had a spare pie crust in the fridge that needed to be used up so we made quick, super simple mini blackberry galettes. They made the perfect end to a hot summer day.
Quick and Easy Mini Blackberry Galettes
- 1 pie crust (I used 1/2 of Alice Waters pie crust recipe)
- 2 pints of blackberries
- turbinado or granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out the chilled pie crust and cut out circles about the size of your hand.
2. Place a handful of sweet blackberries in the center of each circle and fold in the edges leaving the center open. Sprinkle the tops with sugar and gently press some sugar into the dough.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before eating.