No story for today. Just a favorite recipe and my first instagram post. Yes, I bought an iphone this week. Its my first big gift to myself in a couple of years, since I bought my camera, and I deserve it. Let me tell you, this thing is awesome. I’ve been posting lots of pictures on my twitter feed, which I use as a sort of mini blog. If you are interested in more of what is going on over here at Chez Melissa, follow me or check out the Twitter column to the right of this post.
Recipe from Heart of the Artichoke by David Tanis
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 lbs of ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Sprig of basil
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, but not browned. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for another minute to infuse the oil with garlic flavor.
2. Add the tomatoes and basil. Crush the tomatoes a bit with a potato masher then bring to a boil. Boil gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 1 – 1.5 hrs or until the sauce has reduced by about half. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Ladle into glass canning jars leaving 1 inch of space at the top. Add lids, label and freeze until winter.
Lasts 1 year in the freezer. Makes about 8 cups.
Isn’t the iphone great? And instagram! I have yet to delve into Twitter. Have fun w/ it. Try the hipstamatic app too, if you haven’t already. Happy shooting.